Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Protecting Your Energy with Boundaries

I was having a conversation with a good friend some time ago about how she and I often attract people who seek advice or want a listening ear. It's a beautiful thing to have others see you as someone you can trust. But, occasionally it can also become draining of our own energy if we are not careful and fail to enforce necessary boundaries. Being someone who *used to be* a people-pleaser, enforcing boundaries with others hasn't always been easy. Especially for those I care deeply about, like close family and friends.


If you notice yourself becoming drained or feeling overwhelmed after some interactions, I think it helps to be really honest with yourself and see what can be changed. Maybe you could minimize times you talk with this person, or redirect the conversation to something more uplifting or positive. Or, maybe you could leave the call or text unanswered until you have the mental capacity to handle it. You could even shoot them a quick text, "Hey, I will get back to you on this in a little bit!" if you are concerned they may feel ignored. Whatever you do, try to be tactful and kind, but also do what is best for you. I am finding that our sensitivity to situations is heightened now due to the worry over the pandemic we are experiencing, and so many uncertainties this year, alone. Do not feel guilty for taking care of yourself.

And if you do get to a point where you already feel overwhelmed and need a break - by all means, take one. Take time to rest your mind and your body, if needed. If you are not okay, you can't be okay enough to help anyone else.

xo,

Keeta

4 comments:

  1. If I could go back and give my 23 year old self advice, I would say learn what boundaries are, and set them. Thanks, this was good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Same here, friend. You are so welcome, thanks for reading ❤️

      Delete
  2. Hi Markeeta, I came across your blog thru the Bible app and of course I’m loving it!!!!! Great to see my dear friends growing and still inspiring others #Blessing Janel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janel!! Good to hear from you, I hope you and your family are doing well. xo I appreciate you reading!

      Delete