Sunday, July 5, 2020

Taking Care of Ourselves

Well, I take a little break, and come back to a global pandemic and experiencing racial tension like never before. Maybe I should say, the racial issues are more out in the open than they have been in quite some time. But I didn't come to post about that today. To be honest, I have been talking so much about all of the events of 2020 and I am just exhausted. I am sure you are, too. We have been hit with trauma after trauma, with little to no time to process one thing before the next thing hits. I have been working through this, and trying to figure out ways to make life a little easier for myself, and my family - if at all possible. I want to share with you some things my husband and I have been doing that may help you, too.



1. Take breaks from the news and social media whenever you can, and whenever you need. We are not meant to take in so much bad news in a day, or in a morning, or an hour. Try to allow yourself time to work through what you are currently trying to process.

2. Get active. Gyms are still closed here, but outdoors is always a great option for a run, or even just a walk. Don't underestimate walking! Fresh air and sun do wonders for our mental.

3. Essential Oils. I have been diffusing essential oils daily this entire year. My usual mix is Sweet Orange (mood boosting), and a Tranquility blend that contains Lavender, Patchouli, Balsam Fir Needle - to name a few. It helps with promoting relaxation. Some days, I add Cinnamon Leaf to warm the home and purify.

4. Take drives/explore. Drive to areas that are out of your normal daily routine, find new places you'd like to visit when states fully reopen. Visit new parks/trails, take bike rides. Doing something different will help you to relax and you may discover a new place just for you.

5. Spend time with loved ones - with distance, of course. And not necessarily in person - we have been super creative with participating in "drive through" birthday parties, Zoom call celebrations, and group FaceTime calls. There are also cool apps like House Party where you can talk to others and invitees can invite others, as well. So you can meet new people.

6. Rest. Listen, I know it's challenging, especially for parents with daycares/schools being closed (well, now school is out for the summer, and many summer camps are closed), and some still having to work (I work from home) while also parenting and teaching our children. By the time we reach 4 or 5pm, I am SPENT. But try to rest when you can, communicate with your employer if you're in such a situation. They may be able to work out a more flexible schedule, and if you have a spouse/partner in the home, you can do like my husband and I and trade off with responsibilities so one gets to rest, then switch off.


Give yourself grace during this time. Many of us are feeling heavy, and frustrated, and just TIRED. But we will get through this. Be kind to yourself, and know that your best from day to day will change. And that is okay.

xo
KeetaRay

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading that your best will change day to day. That means no comparing to what is already in the past if I am going to use it to be critical of myself. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and always being encouraging, my friend.

      Delete