Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Getting Real + Defining Your Standards

Every now and then, I see a quote online that really resonates with me. I saw this a few days ago, and it sparked something in me. "Get honest with people about who you are, what you want, and how you expect to be treated. Standards only scare off the people not meant for you." (When I saw this quote, there was no tag of the original poster, so my apologies for not knowing where this came from.)



My thoughts went back to times in my past where I hadn't defined my standards, due to either fear of losing the person, or assuming they knew what my standards were. I've done this in friendships, romantic relationships, professionally, and so on. It took me some time to realize that being upfront with what I expect and what I stand for will quickly sift out the real from the fake. Trust me when I tell you, you only want people in your life who are FOR you. And anyone who loves you, or is meant to be in your life, will respect you and what you stand for. If it doesn't work for them, then they weren't meant to be in your life. And wouldn't you want to know that sooner rather than later?

Take some time to periodically evaluate all of your relationships. Be honest with the person, and most importantly be honest with yourself. Are you making your expectations clear? Are you being honest with people about who you are and what you need? If not, it's time to make the necessary adjustments. You'll be better for it.



<3

No comments:

Post a Comment